Join the KBS Team!
Janitor - Custodian
- Tonawanda, NY
- Full Time
- Entry Level
KBS, the largest privately held facility services company in the nation with 100,000+ active client locations, is currently searching for a Janitorial Crew Member. The person in this janitorial/custodian position is a motivated individual that loves to clean and has high attention to detail. The Janitorial Crew Member will perform general cleaning and upkeep for a large distribution center or warehouse center, typically a building that has more than 1 million square feet.
Individuals in these janitorial positions will ensure the building, grounds, and equipment are in clean, orderly, and functional condition.
These are hourly, non-exempt, positions.
Work Schedule: Days/nights vary, including weekends
1st Shift: 6 am – 2:30 pm
2nd Shift: 2 pm – 10:30 pm
3rd Shift: 10 pm - 6:30 am
Summary of duties:
- Clean and maintain building floor surfaces, including but not limited to, sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, vacuuming, and spot cleaning
- Clean furniture, walls, glass, mirrors, fixtures, machines, and other equipment (e.g., Dust, wash, vacuum, and polish)
- Gather and empty trash
- Service, clean and supply restrooms
- May move furniture, light fixtures, or other items manually
- May extract carpet (small jobs)
Follow safety guidelines and procedures:
- Execute proper use of all equipment
- Clean and maintain cleaning equipment per instructions (e.g., rags, mops, machines, tools, and buckets)
- Prepare cleaning solutions (water, detergents, and other chemicals) according to specifications
- In healthcare settings, will follow instructions to change out sharp containers and dispose of medical waste
Be a good steward of the facility:
- Monitor and report facility issues requiring repairs (notify Lead, Site, or Zone Manager)
- Monitor building security and safety (lock doors after operating hours and ensure electrical appliances are turned off, etc.)
Maintain supply closet:
- Properly stack and replace cleaning items and tools
- Ensure supplies are available for each shift
- Report supply requisition needs to Lead/Manager
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies
- General familiarity with cleaning best practices
- Knows how to set work priorities to work independently but can also coordinate work priorities to work as a member of a team
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work for efficiencies without minimizing work results
- Ability to operate and use janitorial tools, equipment, and supplies with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and safe handling for chemicals sheets/documents (generally in English; may have in Spanish where state required)
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
- Dependable, honest, strong work ethic, motivated, professional appearance and hygiene, communication skills, team player
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements
- Must successfully pass KBS background check and may be required to pass a drug test depending on the location being serviced; in healthcare settings, a drug test is required
- Janitorial/housekeeping or comparable experience is a plus
After an initial waiting period, those hired into full-time positions are eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes the following:
- QuickPay offered through DailyPay for FT and PT
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Income
- Term Life and AD&D Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401k Retirement Plan
For over 70 years, Kellermeyer Bergensons Services (KBS) has delivered best-in-class property services to major retailers, healthcare, churches, and commercial facilities across the United States. Our core services are janitorial, facilities repair and maintenance, landscape management, and parking lot maintenance services. Kellermeyer Bergensons Services is reliable, cost-effective, and professional. Our property services offerings allow our customers the option to bundle a combination of services or to select single services.
What's In It For You?
Supportive work environment, shifts that accommodate your needs, an opportunity to accelerate your career, and work with a great team! We are hiring immediately – apply today!
KBS considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, and expression, marital or military status, or based on an individual's status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. KBS also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law.